• Author
    Participant
    #167 |

Hey!

I’ve had a betta in a tank for around six months, and it looks like it’s caught fin rot somehow. The tank is clean and well filtered, there is no algae growth (a snail and an oto keep it clean) but I’m not sure what to do!

I bought Betta Fix, which helped the problem significantly, but after the 7 day treatment I returned the betta to it’s aquarium (2 gallon) and it looks like the fin rot is returning!

Does anyone have a good longer term fin rot cure I can use on my Betta?

• thisisoli
    Keymaster

Hey Sarah!

The problem is that fin rot can be caused by a variety of bacteria and even fungus. You can try antibiotics such as minocycline or erythromycin, one of these will knock out most forms of fin rot, but make sure you put the betta in it’s own tank before you use these.

You can also try a longer treatment period of Betta Fix, but if it didn’t work after seven days, it might be a long shot. One of my bettas contracted fin rot recently and I tried Betta Fix too, similar situation, the fish healed significantly but after treatment stopped it looks like the fin rot is returning. Ideally Betta Fix should be used as a preventative or early stage treatment for fin rot. Preventative is if your fish tears a fin, which can make it susceptible to infection.

• Sarah
    Participant

Thank you for the quick answer!

I’ll try the antibiotics, can I get these at a fish store or do I need to go to a vet?

• thisisoli
    Keymaster

You should be able to get them at a fish store in the US, some vets stock it too, but it might be a long shot, unless you find one that’s specialized towards aquatic animals!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.